The Exchange Brewery Foreign Exchange Stout is the secret ingredient to put these decadent brownies over the top! They’re dense and fudgy, with delicious malty notes that intensifies the flavour of the chocolate. Walnuts were added for some extra crunch. Most importantly, you won’t be using the full bottle of beer for this recipe, so you’ll be able to enjoy a glass of our Stout while you’re baking.
Great for Super Bowl, St. Patrick’s Day, or any other day!
¾ cup (175g) unsalted butter
1 cup (175g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (200g) caster sugar
250ml Foreign Exchange Stout (8.5 oz)
1 cup (125g) flour
¾ cup (75g) cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
½ cup (65g) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a medium steel bowl over a bain-marie (on a small sauce pan) melt the butter with 100g of the chocolate chips, the vanilla extract and the sugar.
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the bain marie. Whisk in the two eggs and then the Foreign Exchange Stout. Set aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until you get a smooth batter. Add in the rest of the chocolate chips (75g), the chopped walnuts (optional) and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a parchment lined 8” baking tin.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 20-25 minutes.